I've had five Nissan/Datsuns since 1977, and I'm driving one today (a 2016 Frontier). While I don't doubt that Bristoe had issues with his 2004 4 banger, the six cylinder is a brute, and smooth as glass. That 2.5 liter ain't half the engine the older 2.4 liter was. I test-drove the 2.5 liter and decided that it wouldn't work for me, it was sluggish as hell. The big 4.0 V-6 is a monster for that size pickup.
I've been driving them since they were called "Datsun" and had no real serious issues with any of mine.
I don't like the mileage of that V-6 much, but I have managed to stretch it out to 23 MPG on a recent highway trip to Missouri, that was an outlier, though, I usually get 21.5 or thereabouts, still not too bad. I was going to buy a Titan back when they were priced reasonably, but the mileage there scared me away (12-17 EPA estimates). I'm sure I would like a larger pickup, but for my needs, the mid-sized trucks are a better fit, and the seats on a Frontier are a lot better than the Tacomas, according to my fused spine.

I like my Nissans and won't apologize for that.I've had excellent service out of them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.