Originally Posted by johnw
Rifles made with Bofors steel are obviously cool from a historic viewpoint. And maybe, just maybe that steel was in some way superior to what the rest of the world used for guns in 1920.

And I got no doubt that many WWI and WWII veterans had a nostalgic view of Bofors made weapons, based on their experience. Maybe even some vets from the latter days of the 20th century.
I'm pretty sure that's who Sako was marketing to when they stamped "Bofors Steel" on their barrels.

But I think I can sleep soundly, without sweating the availability of Bofors steel, if I just ordered a new barrel for my rifle today...

I think a lot of classic Sako owners attributed the vault like construction of their rifles to Bofors steel barrels but it really was the design and workmanship.

There are some seriously exotic alloys used in rifle and pistol construction now that were not available 60 years ago.

Another tidbit for the Roto Forging crowd is that the vast majority of the Hammer Forging machines in use today are made in Steyr Austria. CZ also ages barrel blanks in the weather for years before they are machined.