Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was feeding my dog cooked chicken bones. The vet told me, and she wasn't kidding, that she did that intestine surgery about once every six weeks. Chicken bone pierces the intestine, doo doo leaks out into the abdomen, infection called peritonitis develops, and without surgery the doggie will die in 3 days and it isn't pretty.

Interesting that raw bones don't cause a problem.. I have been wondering about that.

If raw bones were a problem, every day would constitute a decimation of wild canids (wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc.), because they don't avoid the bones of the animals they take down. They crunch away at them, and eat those bones chunk by chunk, and the smaller animals they catch (e.g., rabbits, birds, etc.) get munched down whole.

Wolverines (admittedly, closer to a weasel than a dog), for example, during hard times, will specialize in crushing (they have super powerful jaws) and consuming old carcass bones left behind by larger predators. Captured wolverines are often found to have stomachs chock full of nothing but bone fragments.