Frank Cook belonged to the Athletic Club that I managed. I spent some time with the man who was with Swank when he got that monster. He had some nice sheep mounts, I was looking at buying his house on the river in Cooper Landing, I think his name was Parker, but not super sure on the name, that would have been late 70's.

Frank Cook was business and hunting partners with Jay Muller, and Moose-meat Moore. They would only carry one rifle and one sleeping bag, for two men. They traveled light; one guy sleep, while the other guy hunted.

Moose "meat" Moore was a Alaskan Hunting Guide, he used horses. He homesteaded, the corner or Tudor Road and Lake Otis Blvd. He kept two black bears in fenced enclosures, F&G came out and asked him to insert a thermocouple in their rectum, while they were hibernating, Moose suggested they do it, and he would watch. That was not yet part of Anchorage, so my hunting partner and I would shoot there on Moose's rifle range, the Anchorage Police would out, and give us hell, but Moose was in The Alaska State House. So, it was never an issue, I think they just liked to come see the two bears.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/36551287/mortimer-marshall-moore

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).