I hunted with Hoppy several times from the late 80's up to 2000. Killed a heck of ram (40"+) on my last with him in 2000. That year I was about to book a sheep hunt with another outfitter and called Hoppy. He had a recent cancellation on a sheep hunt and I went on that hunt. When I asked him what the hunt would cost, he just told me that he would treat me right. So I left home to go on that hunt not knowing what the price would be. He did treat me right! Hoppy and I got along great. He asked me to stay in camp to be a packer for him. I wish my job at that time would have allowed me to take a long vacation every Aug. and Sept. so that I could have done that. My last contact with him was when he was still in Calif.

waterrat, you mentioned that he is in assisted living in Nebraska. I live in Nebraska. Do you know where he is? Please PM me if you don't want to post the info here.

Timmyt509, you mention talking to him. Is he in Nebraska? Please let me know where. I would really enjoy visiting him. I haven't talked to him for nearly 20 years. Timmyt, also PM me if you don't want to post the info here. If Jim is in NE I will go see him. I would like to relive some of my hunts and flying adventures with him. He was one heck of a bush pilot. The flights in his yellow Otter from Anchorage to camp were fun, but the flights in his Super cub were the best. One heck of a guide and and a great man.