I wrote this in another post in regard to Busse, but it bears repeating:

Anyone over 50 and with half a brain knows this guy is absolutely spot on. Want to know about the modern "gun culture?"

The gun owner of the past went to the back 40 with Dad or later his son with the Model 12, or later the 870 in tow. He might have had a 70 or 700 for that yearly trip out west, a .22 rifle for whatever and maybe a .22 pistol for coon hunting. He realized that needing a gun for two-legged varmints was a once in several lifetimes event, so he didn't much think about it. If he did, maybe he had a Smith or Colt .38 or if he was a real hombre, a 1911.

Today the back 40 is a subdivision or leased up tight, either way the quail were gone long before. Dad's gone on to his reward while the son lives a good life in the city, realizing there are no good Thai places in Schittsville, let alone good paying jobs.

Meanwhile back in Schittsville, Cletus is just about ready to buy his tenth AR and ten-thousandth round of 5.56 to get ready for the collapse/apocalypse/race war that Alex Jones says is just around the corner. Cletus just hopes he can stay awake on the drive to the gun store after working two doubles at the pork processing plant.

And that my friends is the modern firearms industry and culture in a nutshell.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov