Originally Posted by hookeye
People use what they are comfortable with.
Old timers may not be up on semi autos.
Then their is localized fuddism......use what dad and grandpa did ( bead sighted slug guns or if a rifle of some sort, equipped w see through rings ).

A lack of sophistication is a lack of sophistication, isnt automatically ( no pun intended ) a virtue.

A lack of love for autoloading rifles or even autoloading pistols has nothing to do with sophistication or lack of. Just like finding bitter beer and dry wine distasteful. It is not lack of sophistication. It is that I am honest enough to state they taste like schitt. I do not suck on lemons or limes, or shoot autorifles as a way to prove I am sophisticated.

It may have something to do with economics, it may have something to do with the desire or lack thereof to search for spent brass amongst the pine needles, sagebrush, or cheatgrass floor of the common western range site. As in where ever you pull off the road and set out your targets.

It might even have something to do with a philosophy of one shot/one kill at at ranges to 500 yds or beyond.

The most Fudd like behavior is to disparage any shooter simply because he does not embrace the same equipment you do.

I had no personal use for an autoloading pistol until I was 65 years old. I never believed others should be denied their use.

I still have no use for an autoloading rifle. But for those that do, great. Go forth and enjoy the hell out of yours.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.