[[/quote]
I don’t recall if my first bottle was clear or gray, but they changed to the clear formula right about the time I started using it a bunch. It used to come in the clear, plastic containers, but it dried out quicker than necessary in the plastic bottles so they went to aluminum. I remember the gray stuff used to stain stocks and stuff, so it came with a warning.[/quote]

I started playing with DBC toward the end of the gray era. It was interesting, because while effective it wasn't particularly pleasing to the eye, especially if you got it on a stock. I also knew a few people who installed DBC who got some the gray stuff inside the chamber as well as the bore, and complained about it. But chamber-slop was easily removed with a bore brush of the right size, since it didn't "cure" like DBC in the bore. (I also suggested such people put an empty case in the chamber when installing....)

They went to the clear formula and aluminum bottles maybe two years, at most, after that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck