Originally Posted by fourbore
I have been tossing around a few ideas regard a Zestava Mauser. Very nice gun, Very bad barrel. I would like a 400 whelen. I also want to be practical and consider how effective the gun will be over your simple 3006 with 220 bullets. And also factor in 375 bullet performance and availability. Looking at 35 Whelen and bullets choices. I have a 3006 reamer. The bolt face and feeding is setup for 7x64, which should be '06 compatible. No decision. I am not going to pay a lot to salvage a messed up gun. I am thinking and reading this was interesting. To a point.

As I type, no decision made. leaning heavy toward a 375/06 (not improved). I think bullet availability trumps a few 1000's bore size. I do not mean low cost, I do mean good bullets are much more important than fps or me. Like idea of reusing my reamer. Dont like the cost of barrels. I dont know. I hope, I am not another ding dong. The OP never came back. I also hope he was not offended? Well, this is not the hobby for the thin skinned. I am actually surprised we did not get any 458 WM posting on this.

As I already have 375 Whelen Ackley improved reloading dies. And when I anneal the necks of 06 brass they neck up easily. Also, as mine is on a 98 Mauser I can cream of wheat the brass very easily with 19 grains of Unique. I will just stay the course. I've already taken caribou with the rifle and just really like it.
That being said, I don't think I've gained a ton of performance over the 375/06.