Originally Posted by cwh2
Horse1, what is your mainstay upland cold weather glove?

Hard to say "mainstay" because I've tried so many that it keeps changing. The Hestra ErgoGrip I mentioned in my 1st post was my mainstay this fall. I can manipulate all the controls of a Beretta semi-auto with the gloves on.

The Kuiu liners under thin/soft deerskin or similar leather gloves are also a great choice as well.

I'm a sucker for end-of-season closeouts as well. I have the Manzella soft-shell wind-proof archery gloves stuck in every vehicle, backpack, and hunting-gear bag as a "just in case". They might not always be just exactly what I need, but, they're really good most of the time.

Cold-hands is a relative term that must be taken into account as well. First and foremost, I'm "well insulated" IE: Chubby. As such, I'm almost always too warm rather than cold. Second, I'm "comfortable" as long as my hands are warm enough not to lose dexterity. Some folks aren't comfortable unless their hands are truly warm. Same goes for feet and ears.

A couple of guys I hunt with we end up with a lot of the same gear because we have similar tolerances. One guy that I hunt and ice-fish with always needs something significantly warmer than what I wear whether it's gloves, hats, boots, coats, whatever. The guy is plenty tough, just has different needs than I do. I grew up being told by my dad that if he was warm enough in XX piece of gear that I damned sure better be warm enough too and if I didn't think I was, toughen up. With that in mind, now I just try to tell folks what works for me and why/how it works for me hopefully with enough description that they can make a decision on whether it'll work for them or not.

Last edited by horse1; 03/06/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.