Sounds like I need to shoot the 3 box's of Hdy 139'ers on hand at any & everything else in Texas, but look for some heavier built bullets in 150gr's ala some of the Nosler stuff built for deeper damage or complete pass thru's, and learn the +' & -'s of that bullet weight & max speed combination.

Texas has a SP drawing hunt that has Sambar on the menu, along with some other things like Axis that I dearly love to eat. I had not put in for this hunt before as the Axis are an after thought on this SP and not plentiful with a 1 animal limit, unlike some of the other SP's further west.

So: from what I'm reading here the 7x57 in a bullet built for deep penetration is GTG on something as big as a Sambar? umm at ranges out to 200/250 or mebbe 300 yards?

OTOH The shoulder is not as big an issue these days as it was the previous 9 years after the VA Dallas surgery that wrecked the shoulder to begin with. 2 years ago I found a local VA's new Phy Asst who used a heavy shot in the ball joint tween the collar bone and upper arm, of a new kind of steroids to get me back in the CF Rifle game again, after a 9 year layoff of anything much stronger than a 22LR out of my Marlin 39D....but I'd already sold almost everything by then. Thanks all for the info...I'll up date the effort as I get along later this year.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 03/09/22. Reason: clarity