Sakoron asked, "I'm really enjoying this thread so let me pose a scenario ...If someone was going to use a 70's era pushfeed M70 Fwt 7x57 as one gun do all go anywhere critter getter in Texas for anything that walks, what one bullet weight & powder would be the perfect do all DRT shooter to concentrate on 1st?"

My prime go to 7x57 is the Winchester XTR push feed FWT as well. Also run a Ruger #1A and a custom Mauser The load I've pretty much settled on uses RL17 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I won't give the charge as it is above published levels. Velocity is in the lower 2800s an is sub-MOA in the FWT, MOAA in the Ruger and the Mauser doesn't like it. Can't win them all.

I have a lot of 160 gr. Speer Hot Core bullets on hand that I will try and see if they work in the Mauser. Accuracy is no problem with it, just shows pressure problems much sooner than the factory guns. Action is a commercial FN that used to be a .270 Win. so I'm not concerned about strength. I think the problem stems from the fact that that rifle has the tightest chamber I've ever seen, I have several customs but none have chambers as tight as this rifle. I'll have to scrounge up some factory ammo and work up from scratch with that rifle.

JMHO but I think for an all round load, a 150 or 160 gr. bullet would be the way to go. At the velocities possible, one may not even need a premium bullet which is why I plane on trying the 160 gr. Speer in the fussy Mauser. If a 150 gr. bullet from a .270 is good for elk, so should a 150 gr. bullet work just as well. The 160 might be just a little bit better.

I've found that the hardest part of getting an elk these days is drawing a damn tag.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE