Originally Posted by OXN939

Picked up a DNA lamp from Lowe's that seems to work pretty well. I don't have Tempilaq on hand, and am basically using the "drop the case onto a wet towel as soon as it gets too hot" method. A few questions if anyone has guidance:

1. There still seems to be a good bit of heat transfer to the base of the case after you remove it from the flame- how do you know if the base of the case is getting too hot? Don't think I've had a case base get too hot to pick up yet, but they're pretty warm.

2. I have one batch of Hornady brass that takes a ton of force in my press to FL size. Even getting them that hot, they still seem to take a pretty good amount of force, especially on the downstroke. Is this an indication that I'm actually not doing as much annealing as I think I am?

Thanks in advance for any input!

OX,
I used the candle method for years. At some point I bought 750 and 400 Tempilaq to see if I was actually annealing or over anealling. About 6-7 years ago I bought a Anneal-Rite. With the candle method one holds the case a lot longer and and it allowed the heat to migrate further down the body When using 750 inside the neck and a stripe of 400 down the body I found the Anneal-Rite heated the neck so quickly the heat does not get the chance to migrate down the body as far. I have not used the DNA candle method though.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/09/22.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.