Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Something I thought I'd toss in here since we're cussing the US Senate. It's high time we did away with direct election of US Senators and restore the state legislatures' powers to elect them. That's the way it was originally set up and that's the way it should have remained. Direct election has just about completely decimated the power of the States and it's not good.

Right. The Senate was supposed to represent the interests of the States as government entities, not individual state residents. For the latter, folks had US House Representatives. It was a balance of legitimate interests that the Founders carefully worked out. The Seventeenth Amendment thew that delicate balance completely out of whack, and we've been seeing the consequences.

PS The same folks who pushed for the Federal Reserve and the Income Tax were the ones pushing for the Seventeenth Amendment, i.e., big money.

The problem is, if we try to go after the 17th at this point, the dems will want to redress several others, including the 2nd.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH