Originally Posted by ElkSnort
When shipping a firearm from one state to another state, aren't you required to send said firearm to an FFL holder? Aren't you also required to declare that you are sending a firearm? The last time I tried to send a rifle through USPS, I was told they could NOT send it out unless I was also an FFL holder! I was told i had to use UPS. So I'm wondering how you guys are sending out with USPS???? Should I NOT be telling them it's a gun????

I'm now wondering if the person at the post office just didn't know what the hell they were doing!

A lot of people at the USPS don't know what they are talking about. All the rules and regulations about shipping through the USPS are on line but it doesn't really matter- if some dumbass behind the counter doesn't want to ship your rifle they won't. It is legal to ship a rifle through the USPS and you don't have to be an FFL to ship, but it must be shipped to another FFL or to yourself and you are the only one who can open the package if it is shipped to yourself- for a hunting trip, for instance.

Another thing is they aren't technically allowed to ask you what is in the box and you aren't required to tell them . I've been lucky in that my Post Office never gives me grief when I send guns , but a few of the new people have looked at me sideways a couple times lately when I would answer their inane questions with some obscure answer.... one guy at the USPS counter asked me a few months ago - "is this what I think it is?" and I told him, "yup, it's a big box with something in it".. and he immediately stopped asking me questions...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.