Years ago, when I was working for USPS as a rural mail carrier, I mailed a rifle to an out of state buyer, at my local post office. The postmaster told me that he needed a copy of my FFL on file before he could accept the package and mail it. Now, at that time my late brother and I had our FFL and he was running the business. I told him that I needed a copy so I could mail a gun, and he told me to tell that fat-azz postmaster that he was full of chit, that we didn't have to show him anything. I did, and went on to tell the postmaster, who was also my boss, that I wanted to see in writing where the post office said I needed to provide them with a copy of my FFL in order to mail a rifle.

Now, at this time, my wife was also working for USPS as a postmaster at another office, and she had done some research and told me that I did not have to show anything to mail it. I could have easily given her the package to mail for me, but I wanted to see fat-azz have to eat his words........which he did, after he couldn't prove to me that USPS required a copy of an FFL in order for someone to mail a long gun.

The post office that I use now, which is the same one that I used to work at, has never asked me what was in a box I was mailing except does the package contain anything perishable, fragile, or potentially hazardous. I mailed a shotgun to Colorado yesterday, that I had packaged very well, using a hard case, and double cardboard boxes, giving a total weight of 16 pounds, and it cost $32 in postage. I'm still at a loss to figure out why some of you are paying such high prices.