Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by ironbender
Still limit of two - 1 chicken and 1 halibut on charters?

Yep. Hardly worth going anymore, unless you just really enjoy going fishing. Luckily I haven't had to do a "charter" in a long while.
I'm not up on Homer charters anymore, but check with Bobs trophy charters or Buttwackers, I've heard good things about them.
Or drive back up to Ninilchik and go with J&J smart or KeyO's. You get the advantage of a shorter boat ride and a cool beach launch.

It's been quite a while since I've gone on a charter. J&J Smart is probably the last charter service I used. Our party limited out, but not all on the boat were as fortunate. Other boats arriving back at shore around the same time faired even worse. Launching and retrieving from shore with tractors was an interesting experience. I would go back with them again if I was inclined to do another charter.

On my first trip to Alaska before becoming a resident, I fished with Tom Bunnell on the Halibut Hunter. I've fished with him a couple times after that as well. I might not recommend him for neophyte fishermen(women) as he is a bit gruff. He was quick to bark orders (and he wasn't wrong). But he knows where to find fish. For experienced or tough skinned fishermen he is someone to consider.