Originally Posted by TrueGrit
There's a bunch of people who like to eat halibut throughout the US of A. Most of those can't charter a boat and go out fun fishing and bring a few home to eat. They depend on others to catch their fish for them so they can eat. My guess is halibut was historically a commercial only fisheries that the sports are trying to privatize for themselves.

No- halibut catching was historically subsistence, then personal use/commercial. Google Native halibut hooks. Pretty neat ! As I understand it, they crafted them for size they wanted to catch. A 300# er out of a Kayak could have been interesting! smile

I can't - or don't want to- afford local commercial in-store halibut prices. Which are often higher than OUTSIDE. If I charter, it's with the mind-set that it's a boat ride. Any halibut taken home is a bonus. But it is fresh, not brought in dead, thrown in an ice hold, transported thousands of miles under questionable handling, and sold by retail people who know fuq-all...

That way, I don't home go dis-appointed.. smile

If you can't afford store prices of $16/ lb and up, for somewhat questionable product, it's beyond your "so they can eat" stipulation.

Go out and kill a deer with your $1500 dollar gun/scope gear. Each.

No offense intended

But I got me a Rubber Ducky (Achilles inflatable) and 30 hp Everscrewed that I intend to go out and make meat with off Deep Creek or Ninilchik this spring.. The rules I am supposed to follow are ridiculous.

Last edited by las; 04/20/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.