Originally Posted by Pappy348
Way back when I shot only factory, or when time prevented me from loading my own, I shot mostly Core Lokts or Winchester PPs. They killed fine, but were never particularly accurate. After that, I generally loaded Sierra PHs or Gamekings, especially the 165gr BTHP, a killer-diller for sure, but pretty brutal at the ranges I often shot stuff. Now I buy BT or Partition blems when they go on sale, but don’t think it makes much difference on scrawny WV eating deer.

I use different stuff for fun, but a .308 is hard to beat IMO.

I never had any problems getting CLs to shoot respectably. Here are a couple of inexpensively made groups, fashioned from 150 and 180 grain Remington CLs shot at 100 yd. I think some of it has to do with when they were made. They still make both as components, but the price gap has narrowed. You can often get Hot Cors or Interlocks for almost the same money.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These are fired from a 30-303 barrel. The targets below are 180 grain CLs. Re 17 and Re 15 did very well. These groups were made "cold". That is, I didn't monkey with the seating depth. And really, I won't bother. I rarely shoot past 300 yards except at the range. For me at least, this is good enough.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada