I don't do any specific training for elk season except a few special treadmill workouts in Aug/September. On a yearly basis I run 60-100 miles a month and mix in some weights works out. Last year my totals were 954 miles, 15,900 push ups, 4050 pull ups, and 3288 sit ups and that doesn't include the weights workouts. I shoot a few run and guns a year, which dictates most of my athletic and firearms training. Come late August and September I'll mix in my hill climb treadmill workout. It's 60 minutes, 15% incline, and I vary speed to climb as high and as far as I can. On a really good day, I'll get 3000' elevation gain and 4 miles. Killer leg workout.

If was to train specifically for elk season, I'd focus on building up cardio endurance, pick your poison, running, hiking, rowing, biking...nah, scratch biking, can't stand them. At a min. be able to go a solid hour at an elevated heart rate. Mix in some leg specific exercises. A weighted vest is good, or running/jogging hills is good too. Just get your heart rate up. If you're not sweating, you're not exercising.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 04/18/22.