Originally Posted by martinstrummer
"... I took a bead directly on that bird's head at a little over 50 feet knowing my gun shoots a bit high and having extra full choke in the gun. ..."

My "point of aim" (POA) is that spot on the neck where the feathers stop and the wattles start. I only aim at the head if that's all I can see.

Usually mine, too. He landed on a branch on the far side of the tree and had his head sticking straight out horizontally looking right at me. So that reference wasn't there. I should have aimed low at the air below his head.

I was surprised that my "go for broke" calling worked as well as it did. After intermittent, subtle calling all morning, I decided to work 2 pots and a diaphram call as loudly as I could and got this guy, who either wasn't there or was dead silent all morning, to sound off. It was my "George Costanza" approach. My "If everything I've been doing has been wrong, then the opposite must be right" moment, and it worked.

Oh well, just another story to add. Season goes to full days starting today, and I'll be back out there at least two more times this week.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 04/25/22.