Saddlesore - Not sure when you're referring to RMEF not saying right out they would not support wolf introduction but regarding Colorado, it's very easy to find their position (link below) that opposed the wolf introduction when it was voted upon. I know for a fact they contributed $300K to the campaign against the introduction. To me, I was disappointed that it was only $300K and as the vote turned out, it likely wouldn't have taken much more and a better campaign to get the facts to the voters. Unfortunately, State regulations restrict State governments to voice their opinion on active ballot issues. Insane as that is, the agency tasked with managing States wildlife cannot express support one way or another even though they were on record prior to the topic being a ballot issue.

I've read via RMEF articles that 50% of funds raised in a State, is spent in that State and the rest of funds are combined and I assume somewhere they determine which other projects will be funded in various states.

I'm certainly not here to say everything they do or have ever done is perfect as you'll always have people that want more $ spent in their State or to benefit their own hunting interests so you'll never please everyone.
So again, I pose the question, Please name an organization that you think better benefits elk and elk hunting as I don't think there is one. Certainly not perfect and I would certainly change some things but I want to at least contribute where I think is best.
RMEF is rated as 4 out of 4 Stars on Charitynavigator.org which is an independent review organization. Being transparent on how their money is spent is one key factor and I know several "conservation" organizations that would absolutely barely earn 1 star in that category. So my perspective is that one can either do absolutely nothing to further the sport or contribute to an organization that is trying to improve things. So much info and data out there on the things RMEF does so if you're really interested, it's out there.

https://www.rmef.org/why-a-forced-colorado-wolf-introduction-is-a-bad-idea/