I started with a 30x30 metal building on a 6" slab and piers on 7.5' centers. We do not have foundation problems in our area. Mine is insulated and has R panel inner walls. I built a 15x15 room for reloading, computer, TV, bathroom, and a heat pump. The rest of the shop has a heat pump and a water cooler. I have 2 lathes, 2 Bridgeports, a Roll In saw, a surface grinder, 2 Baldor grinders, a tool and cutter grinder, and a free standing New Hermes engraver. Oh yeah, I forgot my 2 belt grinders. I enclosed the 15x30 porch. blow in foam insulation, painted plywood walls. All of my shop now has LED lighting. I put a pad behind my shop with a roof for my 5hp 120 gal compressor and my 2 rotary phase converters. Sure helps on the noise situation. I also use 2 VFDs with 200 ohm stopping resistors for my Bridgeports. I will install an A/C unit soon for the addition. Grandson moved my sanders, grinders, saws out there today. I have 2 cabinets, one for each mill. It has holes for collets, assorted chuckless drills, boring heads, flycutters, and mills, countersinks, clamp sets and counter bores. The drawers hold the parallels and a multitude of mill tools. I'm a lucky guy that has a product that pays for my bad habits.
I do no gun work except for myself. I do a little machine work for family and friends. It is nice to work on what I want when I want. I learned early on that I couldn't gunsmith for money as I can't hardly motivate myself to do my own work.
A 30x45 as I now have is what I feel I need.

Listen to Jim1611

Last edited by butchlambert1; 05/07/22.