Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
thank you all who have sent congrats. Today I was thinking that I might give my perspective on using this classic blued/wood stock on Kodiak and what I do to prepare the gun for that environment: first, I guess I'm rather tight: I fully understand the rational of putting a fiberglass stock on for such use. But honestly guys, I don't think it is necessary if the prep is done adequately. I think the cost of a McMillan is too high for me. And of course, the pre-64s I've used in Alaska are not collectables. The .300 has been re-barrelled and the stock, although factory, is not original to the rifle.

SO, I put multiple coats of finish everywhere INSIDE the stock. ALL metal surfaces under the stock are coated with something I trust, such a Corrosion X or RIG. For this hunt, the barrel all around the forend was taped with electrical tape so no water could get in the barrel channel. And of course the muzzle was taped shut as well. Each night I ran a bore snake thru the barrel. In several hunts with the .300 and now with the .375, I have not seen a single sign of water or moisture inside the stock and no perceiveable warpage. I do find VERY small STARTS of rust in a few places, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up in the field very easily.

So my perspective is that the factory stocks can be used with complete confidence as well as the metal as well IF properly prepared. I've hunted in other parts of the country and on one horseback hunt with my 70s, but nothing I've personally been in can compare with Alaska for wetness.

I just thought this experience just might be helpful to someone considering whether a stock replacement is a MUST. Just my experience.

Dan
Good stuff Dan. While it is definitely not a "must", it eases some of the pressure off of having to greatly care for a stock out in the field. While I do not hunt AK, I can tell you that in Oregon, it gets pretty wet as well. No where near as bad as AK, so for me I'd want a Mcmillan on board while I left the primo (hopefully) stock at home..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA