Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I miss Harvey Donaldson, Wooters, Zutz, Waters and O'Connor.. Sadly, they don't write any articles any more. I remember some new kids that needed some more experience before they got to be regular contributors, some characters named Barsness and Venturino., come to mind. My favorite getting a little long in the tooth.
It will be good to see some new, younger faces.
And yeah, I wear a hat in the house.
Bfly

Thanks for the mention! I didn't even start regularly writing about hunting guns (whether rifled or smoothbore) until about 40--which is apparently when I decided my knowledge and experience was adequate. Before then had made my living writing for over a decade, but about a wider range of subjects. But somehow I suddenly got so many assignments from guys like Scovill that eventually gun-writing became most of my income.

Know a lot more than I did back when submitting my first gun articles in the late 80s and early 90s, but thankfully gun-writing is one profession where you're allowed to learn on the job. (In fact that's generally true about professional writing on any subject.)

Which is exactly why I thought Jeremiah's article was pretty good. As somebody else mentioned, he didn't lapse into "gunwriterese," and clearly explained not only why he likes the .260, but how his knowledge about it has grown, both in handloading and the field. Have known quite a few gun writers who never did learn much, despite the opportunities the profession provides, including one who wrote about rifle cartridges he'd never even fired, much less used in the field. He was quite successful for a while, but eventually various readers and people in the industry caught on, and he's now gone.

But my main point, again, is that gun-writing is exactly like many other professions: Older professionals will continue to retire, and younger ones will eventually take their place.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck