Originally Posted by tylerw02
So did OP get a ballistics calculator so he could figure out what is flattest and most wind-bucking?
Oh yeah, I found one online for my needs. Lots of fun to plug in the numbers. I only go so far with ballistics, refuse to get all involved with the intricacies of G1,G7, etc....I spent my hitch in the Army ( Germany 73-73) in Artillery. I was trained as a Cannon cocker, then an Artillery Weapons Mechanic (hydraulic/electrical) in Ft. Sill (71) When I go to Germany, typical Army made me learn to be in Fire Direction Center OJT. We did everything manually back then. The chart operator called out range/azimuth, the Computer (soldier) used the right giant slide rule with the range info for all the variables you had to compute. You called the guns with the elevation/azimuth and the Forward Observer called back the corrections or end of mission. I wore my gray matter down to the white meat! I was "fried" with all the numbers! So ever since I got out, hunting for me means to find him in my range (where I'm confident) or get closer , and use a "point and shoot" rifle. I'm a pretty good judge of range out to 300 or so with my naked eye. If I have time I use a small Range Finder. I've also killed wads of deer/hogs with a lever action 30-30 and semi-auto 30-06 with irons. Love it too. I'm bolted together now, stiffer, so I tend to shoot further. But I'm having fun. smile