Originally Posted by Mwbyler
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Mwbyler
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
FWIW

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/cva-paramount/

Pretty sure they would be very good out to 400 yards or so. I have been looking at them for 2 years and that would be the one to buy. I am not sure I am using the 280 grain powerbelt or just go to a sized bullet . I would use it for late season Iowa whitetails.
My son had a Paramount blow up on him last fall, if you do a search on them they have a problem with the sabot staying seated on the powder charge. Flawed design in my humble opinion.

So was your son using a Sabot or a powerbelt bullet with the skirt at the bottom?
He was using a powerbelt the barrel banana peeled about 6 inches from where the powder charge and the bullet should have been, the conclusion we came to was the powerbelt somehow dropped away from the charge moved down the barrel. After googling the paramount we found posts mentioning others experiencing this happening to them also. Him and his buddy were sighting their muzzleloaders in for the upcoming season. He happens to be a Green Bret weapons sargent who is very knowledgeable and experienced with firearms. Only thing that saved him from getting seriously hurt was having a bipod attached to the forearm and having the hand that usually grips the forearm back under the stock by his sandbag otherwise he would have probably lost his hand.

I think that is on the bullet and not the rifle. I would not shoot that bullet in any muzzleloader. I understand Gunwerks 5K muzzleloader recommends using that bullet. I would use a sized bullet and go thru that rather then the powerbelt if I owned one of them.