Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
AussieGunWriter: After nearly six decades (nearly 60 years!) of seeing the harm that "leather holsters" due to pistols and revolvers I no longer subject my handguns to that type abuse - not for carry, not for storage, not for nothin!
Leather holsters look good and smell good and can be pretty good at retention but the harm they do is NO longer tolerated by me.
In fact I have been selling off my leather holsters of recent and still have 30+ to sell.
There are just to many great options for concealed carry, carry and storage that won't harm and devalue ones pistols.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I’d never store a firearm in a leather holster. I don’t store any of my knives in leather sheaths. I’ve always heard that leather retains moisture and that the chemicals used to tan the leather can be harmful but have never left one in leather long enough to find out. Between that and being harder on bluing. I stick to kydex but love the look of leather sheaths and holsters.

My only leather holster is a Milton 1911 holster with a hand carved Mexican floral pattern. I bought it for its looks but generally only use it for limited range use or stomping around in the woods.