Originally Posted by Jim270
The training flick your referencing would be Ryan O'Neil, not Robert Redford, he was Maj Julian Cook.

Well done and you are 110% correct. Cudos ... nod to you.

Redford was Bridge Too Far ... O'Neal was Longest Day.

Wait, I may have that backwards. Vice versa I think. I dunno. Can't remember. Drinking and watching Guifeld.

Wait, were they both in Bridge Too Far?

Hold on.

Robert Redford ... Ryan O'Neal ...

Was it Robert Ryan? Longest Day? Jumpin' Jim Gavin?

I can't remember. My Mom got his autograph that day ... it's in the 82nd Album. I probably have a picture somewhere. I'll find it.

Robert Ryan ... strange how my incredibly ultra superior mind works. It's always been this way. Well, since I was maybe 8 months old at least, back in the 50s, watching my Dad come to bat behind the backstop while my Mom passed me around to the other wives and they all had me waving at my Dad when he came to bat ... he waved back .... I remember things. Lately they're just not as picturesque as they used to be. The memories.

Thanks for correcting me brother.

They used to wonder at me calling fire missions in my head ... they still talk about it. It wasn't that I did the calculations in my head ... it was that I could see the fire tables in my head. We always won our ARTEPS.

ANYWAYS ... Robert Ryan.

General Gavin was bald when he pinned my MSM on me ... and THE most distinguished human being I have ever been face-to-face with in my entire life. He was also on my bird with me when I made my VIP jump along with CSM Berry and Barajas, LTC Mad Jack Hamilton, Strom Thurmond (who had come up when he heard because he was a friend of the family and also served in the 2/325) and a couple of others ... Gavin was like a God though. I'll never forget him. He was ten feet tall. He rode alongside Lindsey in a Wiley jeep ... he must have been 6'6" or taller because I'm 6'3" and Lindsey had to be at least 6'2" or so .... I dunno. 20something kid seeing him .... looking into his eyes when he pinned that MSM on me .... I dunno. I dunno how to explain it. I have not been an impressionable man. My Dad impressed me ... my wife ... a friend or two plus some guys I served with .... but James Gavin. I always felt like I was in the presence of an Arch Angel at the time. I took it very seriously.

Generational thing I guess ... things have changed. Hard to explain.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.