Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Seems like I made the right decision. The .338 adds about 5 inches to the length of the rifle, but I think the perception is greater than the actual difference in handiness. We can all take a 26" 20 gauge 870 into the field after grouse and call it light and handy, but a shorter rifle is somehow unwieldy in the same bush.

Wow! Living with both, I’m very surprised to find that you consider the shorter, 45-70 to be “unwieldy” in the timber/brush……that’s were the GG is most at home!

From short range to 600+ yards, I consider the .338 WM, to possibly be the best “all around” factory produced cartridge.

However, for timber/brush, where shots would very rarely exceed 200 yards and portability/quick handling is at a premium…..the little Guide Gun simply excels! I’ve heard the stories about the 45-70 recoil, but was pleasantly surprised to find out my hand loads, which have substantially more recoil than factory 45-70 ammo at original pressures were very comfortable to shoot from the bench! I have a good recoil pad on my rifle, perhaps if it were the old steel buttplate I would have a vastly different opinion! But, this is JMO! memtb

I didn't find the GG to be unwieldy at all. The comment was more that I think a 24" bolt action sporter isn't that unweildy either, especially if you count running around with a pump gun after small game. And there are tradeoffs, as I found out when going from a 24" M70 to an 18.5" Model Seven. IMO the muzzle blast and decreased accuracy was a bridge too far. I think a 22" FWT is the right balance at just over 7 lbs scoped.

I like the Guide Gun, but the simplicity and take down of the bolt gun wins it for me. Ammo is more plentiful and scopes are easier too.

I plan on running 210 grain TSXs in it, so that might take some of the wrath out of the recoil.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 05/26/22.