Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Seems like I made the right decision. The .338 adds about 5 inches to the length of the rifle, but I think the perception is greater than the actual difference in handiness. We can all take a 26" 20 gauge 870 into the field after grouse and call it light and handy, but a shorter rifle is somehow unwieldy in the same bush.

Wow! Living with both, I’m very surprised to find that you consider the shorter, 45-70 to be “unwieldy” in the timber/brush……that’s were the GG is most at home!

From short range to 600+ yards, I consider the .338 WM, to possibly be the best “all around” factory produced cartridge.

However, for timber/brush, where shots would very rarely exceed 200 yards and portability/quick handling is at a premium…..the little Guide Gun simply excels! I’ve heard the stories about the 45-70 recoil, but was pleasantly surprised to find out my hand loads, which have substantially more recoil than factory 45-70 ammo at original pressures were very comfortable to shoot from the bench! I have a good recoil pad on my rifle, perhaps if it were the old steel buttplate I would have a vastly different opinion! But, this is JMO! memtb

I didn't find the GG to be unwieldy at all. The comment was more that I think a 24" bolt action sporter isn't that unweildy either, especially if you count running around with a pump gun after small game. And there are tradeoffs, as I found out when going from a 24" M70 to an 18.5" Model Seven. IMO the muzzle blast and decreased accuracy was a bridge too far. I think a 22" FWT is the right balance at just over 7 lbs scoped.

I like the Guide Gun, but the simplicity and take down of the bolt gun wins it for me. Ammo is more plentiful and scopes are easier too.

I plan on running 210 grain TSXs in it, so that might take some of the wrath out of the recoil.

In spite of my comments, I certainly respect your decision on using the .338 WM. My wife loves her .338 WM, her only hunting rifle, and uses 225 TTSX’s for all of her hunting!

Good Luck and enjoy…..the .338 WM is a great cartridge! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024