Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Valsdad
You must live in a very dangerous area!
You never know what you're going to run into or where you need to go. You leave the yard or get off pavement much you're going to be poking through blackberry brambles, multiflora rose and/or mud and I want boots for that. Just the other day I had the dogs out for a walk around town when a dog came barreling out of somebody's back yard and went after my dog. A swift kick to the ribs changed his mind. I doubt it would have been near as effective with sandals.

This is what most of my yard looks like. I go where I want in it, barefoot, sandals, boots, romeos, whatever I happen to be wearing. I worry not about a dog attacking my or my dogs, I'll kick them with whatever I should happen to be wearing, or I have an item accessible (even in town) that is much more effective than a pair of Red Wings.

Wife and I took the dogs up this road, it's no longer got snow on it, yesterday a mile or so to the next section gate. Was talking to the rancher neighbor who moved his cows onto this allotment yesterday after we got home, and while he was up in the area of that gate working fence in preparation for moving the cows on, heard something move behind him only to see a lion skittering away. I have more to worry about with coyotes and lions than I do with dogs and therefor prepare more for them and other possibilities. I've walked up that road barefoot, sandals, boots, LL Bean Mainers, haven't had to use snowshoes yet. And yes, I've walked through sagebrush grasslands more than once barefoot or in moccasins. If I run across a berry patch, or roses, or chaparral that I absolutely have to go through rather than around, I'll take responsibility for poor planning, or I go get proper equipment. I've yet to have anyone chase me through them attempting to take my life. We'll have a shootout before that happens.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Pull your piece to shoot somebody's dog on the sidewalk in town and you're probably going to jail. A boot to the ribs is preferable when it will suffice and is much more effective than a sandal. We ain't got lions here. We do have bears and coyotes but generally not in town. You ain't getting far out of the yard here without going through something with thorns, poison ivy and mud. I'll stick with boots thanks.

We have a great sheriff here, and from what I've heard the Chief of Popo in town ain't so bad either. Dog trying to kill mine, if I choose to not let the air out of his lungs first and decide to put holes in him instead, they'd likely see to it I didn't spend much time in the klink.

But, you keep wearing your boots in the house, around the yard, in town..............wherever you choose to because that's your right.

Don't think of other men as less than "real" because they choose differently though. Makes no sense.
There are no town cops here so you'd most likely be dealing with the State police and most of them are dicks. You'd want that dog to be attacking YOU, preferably with some puncture wounds to prove it before using deadly force if you didn't want to be paying an attorney to defend you in court. At the very least you'd likely be charged with discharging a firearm within the village limits with the possibility of animal cruelty and reckless endangerment charges on top of that. Shooting a dog without good cause constitutes felony animal cruelty here.

And folks harp on Cali?

Good cause to me is my dog is on a leash, the attacker isn't, my dogs cost the wife a good chunk of change, our dogs participate in and take ribbons in performance events, we're not willing to lose our investment to any loose mutt, and if your dog hurts my dog unprovoked their will be a price to pay. etc etc.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?