Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Great Crested Flycatchers are the only real notable bird for me. They’ve been nesting in my tulip tree. I think they’re out of the nest now and I was seeing the young following one of the adults today. Kestrel , crows , cardinals , thrashers , redheaded woodpecker , downy woodpecker , pileated woodpeckers , red tailed Hawk , and I think a Cooper’s hawk. There’s others that I’m forgetting. Sat outside in my sling chair after I replaced the sling in it. I needed a rest after wrestling with that PITA job ! The sling really didn’t want to slide into the track !

This is another bird that, if I ever saw one, I never recognized it. The Merlin App has indicated them at my home and a couple of other places.
Seem like a guy oughtta at least know what birds are in his yard and neighborhood.

Look in the canopy for great crested flycatchers, a bit bigger than a Cardinal.

Severe drought here is affecting everything, local mockingbirds not breeding, breeding white-wing dove numbers way down, same with the great-tailed grackles.

My purple martins are gonna lose 4 out of five young this year, already had a number of “fallouts”, young martins too weak to fly.

On top of that I just saw an adult Cooper’s hawk , a male, had to be resident. First breeding Coop I’ve seen in my neighborhood in 35 years, tho I’ve been expecting them. They are death on purple martins.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744