Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by Swamplord
One week after I started this thread I had a griz run into me (he shoud've run the other way)

Saw a nice black bear on Sat but spooked him, so I went back Wed night after work (June 8th) hoping to see the blackie again, instead .... a griz came at me whoofin awfully scary like ....

First shot at 14 paces directly in the chest under his chin as he came at me, the impact of the bullet knocked him down but he was back on his feet in a flash, swatting at the ground and snarling, he was broadside at that sec and I shot him in the shoulder the second time, knocking him down/spinning him facing away from me, as I approached him rifle ready, he jumped to his feet and made his way towards the impenetrable thick willow scrub, I shot him a third time directly in the back from ten feet away, breaking his back ... didn't want to go looking for him in the dense willow mess in the middle of the night ....

Suprisingly, with 3 shots in him and a broken back he still crawled away, pulling himself forward with his front paws/claws while snapping at and tearing the brush with his teeth, he made it 75 feet then I walked up on him and at point blank range put another 190 gr LRX bullet just behind the skull, ending it ...

Four shots with an original, unmodified Rem 700 LSS 300 RUM & 190 gr Barnes LRX bullets @ 3214 fps (Barnes factory ammo)

All in all, the first shot killed him but he either didn't know it or didn't accept it right at the moment, the second shot was "keep shooting till he's down" , third shot was insurance, to confirm he was done , the fourth shot was a mercy shot to prevent unnecessary suffering

All this occured in mere seconds and I didn't have time to think, just react to the situation at hand

Solo bear hunts can be scary at times, especially when they involve a bear that won't give up, lol !

Not a giant bear like those in pics posted earlier here, but still a mean azz adult grizzly looking for tasty mooselings, he ain't gonna eat any more of those ...

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
But stick told me you only need a 22lr ever for any bear.

probably laffin .... & extolling the dumb story about using his 22 wares on his buddy's knee to slow him down while sticky flees

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".