Thanks for the overview, it helps a lot and adds to the other research I've been doing. I had a 6" Trooper Mk III .357 back in the late 70's but it was stolen in a burglary in 1981. It was indeed a stout revolver, much more so than my K frame Smiths.

It looks like a later Officer's Model Match (50's to 60's) would best suit what I'm looking for which is strictly a bullseye and steel target shooter. The longer reach to the trigger should be okay as I have fairly large hands. Always gravitated to grips on the Smiths that add length behind the backstrap, otherwise I have to pull my finger out of the guard a ways to get my pad properly on the trigger.

Watching three of the OMM on gunbroker right now to see how high they go. Looked at some sold ones last night but was looking at a mix of Police Positives, Official Police and Officer's Models in various guises so I didn't get a good idea of the current going prices for the Match model alone.

If anyone has any guidance on what prices would fall into the steal vs deal vs ripoff categories - assuming very good or better condition - I'm all ears. It looks like the Officer's Model Match or Target revolvers don't have quite the collector premium as the snake guns.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!