Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've noticed a lot of guys spend a lot of time, effort and money trying to get a rifle to shoot well, when said rifle is not set up properly. Do that from the get go and all else is cake walk.. This schidt really isn't as hard as most of you make it out to be..

In the case of this particular rifle it's bedded (properly), scope mounts are solid, the old VX Leupold holds zero, the bench from which I test loads is rock solid, and the bags/rests are good to go. It will shoot three touching with 175-gr bullets, and the ten shot targets look like some of the ones you've posted. But I don't want to shoot 175s all the time, and would really like to shoot up some of these 154s since I have so many of them. But it sprays them over three inches at 100 yards with a couple of different recipes. Hence my question about wondering if it's the bullet that is simply incompatible or the recipe that needs to be tweaked.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown