AU338MAG,

I was wrong about the experiments of bullet concentricity being done by Creighton Audette--though he may have done something similar. I found one such test in the book RIFLE ACCURACY FACTS, by Harold R. Vaughan--an actual rocket scientist, who started out studying the trajectory of artillery rounds, but moved on to rockets, and eventually headed the Aeroballistics Division of Sandia National Laboratories (a division of the National Nuclear Security Administration) in New Mexico.

But he was also a rifle loony, who performed a number of scientifically based tests and modifications on one of his hunting rifles, in order to isolate and solve various aspects of accuracy. He used a lot of high-tech tools and measurement devices not available to most handloaders, and among his findings he proved that seating bullets even a little "crooked" resulted in definite (and pretty predictable) deflection during flight, due to powder gas escaping slightly sooner on one side of the bore at the muzzle than the other.

The book was published in 1998 by Precision Shooting, which is where I bought my new copy for something like $30. Used copies run for $200-$400, depending on condition, but a PDF scan can also be found on the Internet. The relevant information begins on page 133, under the heading Canted Bullet Test.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck