Had my right shoulder done 4 years ago (full tear through 60% of supraspinatus tendon). Surgery was in late April.

My surgeon said my tendon would heal at 15% each month, so 6 months would be 90% strength (note, not 100% yet). He also said "another guideline is that full tendon healing would be in 6 months PLUS one week added for every year you are over age 50." I was 57+, so add 7 weeks to the 6 months (total ~8 months months). He also said 1 in 4 shoulder surgeries fail. When I heard that, I told myself "I am in no hurry to draw a bow." I chose to maximize healing first-so I put in my own timeframe of one year, before resuming pulling a bowstring. It took 9 solid months for all traces of pain to go away after surgery. And yes, I was diligent about my PT. VERY diligent.

When I did begin to draw my bow ( a full year after surgery), I started with my 30# recurve limbs on my Samick Journey (64" amo) I took 10 shots /day for a week, then increased 10 shots each week (ie week 1=10 shots day, week 2=20 shots/day, week 3= 30 shots/day etc). Stayed at 50 shots/day for a month with the 30# limbs, then used my 35# limbs for a month (max 50 shots/day), then moved up to my 40-43# bows (my heaviest draw weights). My max draw weight on my fingers is 45# now, and that is where I will stay.

Don't rush your rehab and re-injure yourself by being foolish. Let things fully heal, then go slow and light with bow practice. I am very glad I waited one year before drawing a bow. I did not want to go through that discomfort again. Shoulder feels fine today. I am glad I did what I.did.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."