Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by CRS
If memory serves, I could not get Barnes X or XLC to shoot. Have never used any 130gr Sierra or Speer.

I had those XLC's and never got them to shoot well either. The 130 Sierra Pro Hunter shoots lights out in three M700s with RL22. VERY accurate bullet.

One of the problems with X-Bullets back then was variations in the copper they were made from. Randy Brooks told me this himself, along with several other gun writers. The XLC coating helped--sometimes. The first Barnes Xs that I got to shoot well, consistently, were 100-grain .25-caliber XLCs from a NULA .257 Roberts Ackley Improved I had for a while. They averaged well under an inch in that rifle, but never got as consistent results from other XLCs.

But shortly after that Randy was able to buy consistent copper, and I started finding uncoated X-Bullets shooting much better. Used them quite a bit in both a very accurate 6.5x55 Ruger Mark II and a couple of 9.3mm rifles, with excellent accuracy and good results on game. However, that didn't solve the copper-fouling problem, and the barrels had to be decoppered fairly frequently to keep shooting well. The TSX solved that problem....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck