Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/937196296

I do love small ring Mausers, been on the lookout for a 7x64 or donor for same.

Contacted Jim Kobe about a 7x64 rebarrel, red pad, mounts and perhaps a new bolt and bottom metal.

May hold off on the last two, may commission one of Jim's custom stocks down the road with all the bells and whistles.

That rifle is just about the last G33/40 I would pick to tear down for just the action.

Mike Connor from Alaska is a craftsman from the Golden Age of American custom stockmaking from the 20th century who was apprenticed to Dale Goens of NM.
Mike Connor and his stocks were pictured in several of Jim Carmichaels books- his work was that good.

It the rifle were mine, I would have a top flight metal man do two things-

First- I would replace that ugly knurled Williams bolt handle.

Second- make sure the feed rails were not opened up too much to accommodate the rebated 284 case so that it does precludes a re-barrel to 7x64.

Even it that is the case, a 6.5 x 284 or plain .284 would still both be sweet chamberings for such a rifle.
Agree.

Way too nice to tear down for the action.

DF

Edited to add, if it’s an 8 twist, and the barrel was in as good a shape as the gun, think I’d stay with the 6-284.

Long bullets should work well and I think OP would be impressed. I really like my M-70 pre-64 6.5-284.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/01/22.