We’ve got every venomous species here in SW GA. If you just have to get bit by one, they say the one to get bit by is a copperhead. I agree…I’ve been bitten by one. Most of the times it’s equivalent to a bad bad wasp sting….but there are certainly cases where it’s worse.

Woke up one morning and my lab was raising hell in her concrete run. I looked through the bedroom window and saw a cottonmouth in her pen. Couldn’t get out there fast enough….it bit her on the head and exited before I could make it there. Her head swelled up to the size of a basketball and nothing but slits for eyes. Looked downright Asian! Got her doped up at the vet and she told me to go ahead and take her home, that she’d done all she could for her, help wise, and she’d either be alive or dead by morning.

Next morning I peeked out the window, dreading what I might see. Belle, my lab, was sitting there grinning from ear to ear ready for her breakfast. I was lucky…..if that would have been an Eastern Diamondback it probably would have been a different conclusion.

We have EDB’s, Canebrakes, Pigmy Rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads and coral snakes. Plus gators.

Last edited by Godogs57; 07/04/22.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.