Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Windknot
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

I quit shooting the Montecs right then and there.

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

I, obviously, never recovered the head. So I can't guarantee it didn't cave or crumple. But, I am certain they were USA-made heads.

I ran the first one I shot behind the shoulder of a nearly broadside 8-pointer. Worked just as expected. But, even before the failure on the next buck.......... I looked at the way the blades on the Montec form the point and something just didn't sit right with me. Like there was some quality there that wouldn't work well on a hard quartering shot. Lo and behold...............

Unless you’re a sponsored pro, I don’t know but two,three guys that shoot a Montec anymore.

When they hit the market I loved the idea. And they flew like freakin' field points !!! But there's just something about the design geometry that started to bug me before I had my failure............

Apparently I'm not alone.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.