Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Windknot
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

I quit shooting the Montecs right then and there.

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

I Find the talk about the Montec broadheads to be interesting. I’ve never killed anything with the G5 or the Striker. I’ve always used Thunderheads. For the last couple of years, I’ve had my arrows set up with the strikers. I actually shot some G5’s in practice the other day and they shoot exactly like my field points, so I’m thinking about using them.

The thing I find interesting is the talk about them failing, breaking or whatever. Years ago, I shot an arrow in my backyard that missed the target and hit the cinder block wall with the Montec G5. I couldn’t get it out of the wall and even tried chipping some of the cinderblock away. Finally just gave up and unscrewed the arrow and left it there. I figure if it can do what it did to the cinder block wall, I shouldn’t have any problem killing an elk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My particular (and fatal) beef with the Montec was in its failure to penetrate on a hard angle shot. Period.

I killed several deer with the Montec, including a pretty good 8-pointer with ZERO issues. BUT.......those were all textbook broadside or nearly broadside shots. And, I'll totally back the claim that they fly like your field points. They did for me too. But when I watched one fail miserably on a close-range hard quartering shot on a DANG big buck for this area.............that was enough for me. There's a whole bunch of cliches that come to mind here. But #1. is "Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me twice.....shame on me". And, #2 is "There's lots more fish (broadheads) in the ocean".

Confidence in one's equipment is HUGE in bowhunting. I just got rid of the unknown (untrusted) quantity in my equation.

How bad was the angle? Enough for the back of a blade to hit a rib before the tip?

No. I don't believe BEFORE. But, I do believe TOO SOON. That was always the thing that made me a little queasy about the Montec from the get-go. The fact that all 3 blades gain purchase instantly upon contact. The Montec has more mass to bury SOONER than any other head I can think of. I believe the point did hit first but was steered outward as the rear portion of the blade "rode" the rib ........sliding the head inside the hide but outside the ribcage.

Please note, when I refer to a "hard angle shot", I'm not referring to a shot that should have been iffy (I'll let iffy shot walk and try again tomorrow). At least not with any other head I've ever used. This particular shot SHOULD have been left liver, left lung, heart and out the far armpit. And WOULD (in my estimation) have been with any other head I ever shot.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.