Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've got a Stihl MS462C-M that's about a year and a half old, it's a cutting beast. I like the M-tronic carb and it's very easy starting. I can tune a carb but would rather not mess with it. The key to any two stroke equipment is to feed it high quality non-ethanol fuel which I do. I get 93 octane non-ethanol from a local fuel distributor. I put a Tsumura lightweight 20" bar with full chisel chain on it. I've got a 28" bar with a skiptooth chain that stays in the shed unless I need to cut something really big. The 462 will certainly handle a 25" but the 20" is a lot handier and will do 99% of what needs done on a daily basis. The 28" bar is for the other 1%.

The next logical step smaller for me would be the 400 C-M, the next step up the 500i which is great but bigger than I want. I haven't heard anything bad about the M-tronic carbs or the 500i's fuel injection system, I love mine and wouldn't want to go back to a regular carb setup. Some folks are scared of technology but I'm not one of them. I pretty much have a hatred of standard carburetors and anything that works better I'm all in on.
I was leary as well until I ran one, then I had to have one! I don't know if they will last 30 years or not and honestly I don't care. I use my saws every day at work and if the 500i will last me a year in the log woods its alreay paid for itself a few times over.