Originally Posted by 673
Personally, I like a big saw, I am currently using a husqvarna 395, previous saw was a 395, the ones before that were 394 Husqvarna's, 5 of them.
I like a bigger saw even if the wood is only 12-16" in diameter, I like the weight of a bigger saw as it dies the work for you if you let it.

If money is no object and you live and work in colder weather, get a heated handle, your hands will thank you for it.
The only reason I run Husky is because of the parts pile I have here, I run Huskies, but have a 461 magnum (Stihl) that I really like.

On a saws balance.....to me balance means when you hold your saw sideways, as if you are going to fall a tree it should have the bar level, if the bar is longer, it makes the tip go down, making it hard to make a level undercut...which makes for a poor undercut because the top cut and bottom cut of the undercut don't meet, causing a (dutchman).

The perfect balance is a saw that self levels, this is how you make a nice undercut.
On my cs800 echo, that 36" bar makes it nose heavy. Eventually I'm gonna get a 32". Don't use it much anymore since my main job for it is done except for the few times just to use it. Be nice if it was balanced ...