Very stupid idea! What are the chip makers we have left going to do with that money? The Feds will decide who will get the money and will tell them exactly what do do with it. Our chip makers can't compete in the world markets because of the cost of our government (taxes, environmental permits, affirmative action and etc.). If the Feds gave one of their friends several billion dollars to build to a certain chip it would take a year or more to build the facility. I worked at Motorola for a year and it took the whole year to build a new FAB (that's what they called it). They hired hundreds of people to work in it but there was no place for them to park so they had to rent some property and bus the workers to and from the property.

Any new chip making facility will probably have to use green energy. The Motorola plant I worked on was on 250 acres and they used so much electricity that the power company built a transmission line to the property while I was working there and installed a substation just for them. Making chips is not something that can happen overnight. I'm sure there are were bigger chip making plants than this one but it had NINE 500 horsepower air compressors in one building just for all the air tools the FABs used.

This plant had no longer in operation.