I plan to acquire a new dog for strictly upland bird hunting. Recently relocated from Alaska to Idaho and have never hunted birds in the West. Will also hunt in the Midwest for grouse and woodcock.

My last bird dog was a golden retriever- Bruno he lived 15 years. He was without a doubt the best dog I ever had. Ptarmigan, spruce, ruffed, and sharp tailed grouse hunting machine. We hunted together all over Alaska. I could put him in a bush plane and take him anywhere, he was always happy and mellow, great with people and especially children. When it came time to hunt he was all business. I don’t attribute his greatness to my ability as a trainer, that’s the wife.

Anyways, I’m considering different breed this time. I’ve some experience with spaniels my father had an American water spaniel, mom had a Brittany and my brother a Cocker. I’ve thought about possibly an English Springer or an English Setter as the wife has had two Irish Setters. Just want to try something different, I expect this will be my last gun dog. Plan on getting a started or fully trained pup. I know everybody has their own opinion on what breed is best but, I’m open to suggestions if you care to offer. Thanks.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8