Originally Posted by Cheesy
German Shorthairs for me, but its always a Ford vs Chevy thing. I like the short coat that doesn't collect burrs. Wife bought a golden doodle (yeah, eye roll) for her housedog pet. That thing is the calmest I've ever been around and smart as a whip. But that long haired coat is a burr collecting machine when running out in the weeds.

Can't quite agree with the ford vs Chevy thing. Im of the opinion that the dog needs to fit the personality & drive of the handler. I have had a German short hair & that dog fit my drive & personality at that stage of my life. He was a pure pleasure to watch work & like eluded to above, low maintenance in terms of dealing with coat.

Though at this stage in my life If was looking for a upland game dog Id seriously have to consider a Drahthaar (German wirehair) seen many others above referred to the Drahthaar / German-wirehair & one - may have called them an ugly dog. Now I have seen some ugly Drahthaar's, though they can clean up really nice with a bit of grooming. I understand they can be amazing to watch work as well. Personally I favor the white & liver coloration.

Your personality, your choice, put in some serious thought as to what will fit you & work with a few kennels to see if they may help you select a dog to fit your personality.

Wish you well!

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19