Lots to choose from. Lots of great ideas. I grew up hunting upland in Washington over flushing labs. Very similar to Idaho. Lots of fun, but I have a pudelpointer now and I would not use a flushing breed again. The ability of a dog to range, locate/point, hold point until you get there to flush is priceless compared to chasing after birdy flushing dogs. My PP is great for both upland and waterfowl. I would have no problem using her exclusively as an upland dog. PP's come in different coats. Medium course wiry, fleece (like a goldendoodle -- terrible for hunting), smooth. For upland, I would consider a smooth coat. My PP's medium course hair collects stuff and she runs hot which we can manage fine, but I think a smooth coat would get the job done better. Another attribute I can't emphasis enough is her prey drive and motor is really strong and she's bright and trainable. The other attribute I like is when she walks in the house, she mellows out and turns everything off. She also doesn't shed. You have good breeders in the area -- Cedarwoods, Prairie Trout, etc. Prairie Trout has a stellar smooth coat dame named Star. I would reach out to them to pick their brains. They are a great resource to understand PP's. I also like GWP's. I hunt with a buddy's and it is a tank with a strong prey drive and unstoppable motor.

Last edited by chizelhead; 07/29/22.