Originally Posted by RockyRaab
One major problem with re-creating the A-1 is avgas. To support that one aircraft, you'd need an entirely separate logistics line of just the fuel, in addition to going back to a piston engine and all their maintenance needs. You'd probably triple the logistics costs. (Not to mention that the jigs to manufacture the planes and engines are long gone.)

Jorge, my SEAL analogy is based on having a right-sized, highly capable resource at hand to perform "stitch in time" missions. People who argue that this plane would be useless in peer to peer engagements are missing the whole point. To make yet another analogy, a fire extinguisher may be useless against a wildfire, but that doesn't mean we don't need fire extinguishers.

Correct on the AVGAS. IT became a big deal to keep even a couple of hundred gallons on board the carrier for some of the SEAL Team applications. Back to this procurement and looking at current possible scenarios (just as you say) I'm thinking existing helo inventories could cover, especially providing just in time CAS to engaged SEAL/DELTA missions in need of it. Hell Cobras are about as good as it gets. But, I'd give anything to strap that little bird on and go!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”